Wednesday, July 18, 2012

A New Adventure Going into 4th Grade

We are trying a new approach this year. Ditching the traditional textbooks, some of you may say finally!
  
Over the summer we "unschooled". If you don't know what that means, it is mostly child led learning.  The concept of delight directed learning leans toward educating to a child's interest, whereas child led learning, the child is doing what they want and learning from life through playing games, exploring, other interests, tv, whatever means they choose. 

As I prayed and watched my son over the summer, I felt like there was not enough biblical training in this method. Even though we read the bible, and have a chore list in place.
I felt in my spirit that even though I want my child to play freely, I cannot let my biblical duties and desires to train up a child to be left into my child's hands. This is my responsibility. Just like I will not turn my child over the the school system, I will not leave him alone.  The bible says in Prov 29:15
But a child left to himself brings shame to his mother.   There are many scriptures that speak of training children, so the idea of radical Unschooling is not for me.  
Educating children is the parents choice, the parents responsibility to chose the how, the what, the where.  I would hope you seek the Lord for what is best for your child and your family. God has given each child his own bent, prayerfully ask the Lord what is your child's bent and how to go about what works best in your situation.
With that in mind I was blessed by my local home school groups used sale and got Joe Teaching Textbooks Math. It is on the computer, and he loves it.  We are also doing some notebooking with timelines on the subjects he chose for 4th grade.  I will be at the library lots this year.   
 God bless you as your journey takes twists and turns. Enjoy the moments of unwrapping your children as the gifts they are.

No comments: